Accelerating Women's Health with Research
To make a long-term positive impact on women's health
Inspiring Careers in Women's Health Research
Latest Events & Outreach
Early access to cutting edge research for self-advocacy
Making our community healthy through research
women's health research
Give Now to move forward and Keep the women we love healthy
Women’s health starts with research. Health prevention strategies, illness diagnosis and treatment, and drug development efforts rely on gender-inclusive research results. Historically, women have been either underrepresented, or excluded in medical research efforts. This may lead to adverse health outcomes for women.
The Doris A. Howell Foundation for Women’s Health Research is dedicated to making a long-term positive impact on women’s health. We seek to accelerate women’s health research by implementing three key programs aimed at advancing women’s health:
- Our Lecture Series Program provides early, first hand access to cutting-edge research where medical experts, scientists, doctors, and researchers convey timely, reliable information on topics relevant to women’s health. By presenting the latest research in women’s health, we advocate for women in our community to make an informed decision about their health.
- Our Scholarship Program funds research seed grants to undergraduate and graduate individuals conducting critical research that may affect women’s health. By funding women-specific research, we hope to inspire students to follow a career that addresses women’s health needs.
- Our Community Engagement Initiative awards pilot research grants to scientists working with community–based organizations to develop and evaluate programs that address the most pressing health issues affecting underrepresented women in our community. Research results serve as the foundation in the application process of additional women-focused research funding.
Since its founding in 1995, the Howell Foundation has awarded more than 270 scholarships and produced over 100 women’s health presentations. In 2013, it expanded its service to include community- based research grants with an emphasis on women in under-served communities. By focusing on women-specific issues, we help Keep the Women We Love Healthy.
“How many of you have wives; how many of you have daughters; how many of you have sisters? And I know you all have mothers…
What do you do to help them stay healthy?“
Dr. Doris A. Howell
Howell Scholarship Program
Our Scholarship Program funds seed grants to undergraduate and graduate individuals conducting critical research that may affect women’s health, and inspire students to follow a career that addresses women’s health needs.
Outreach and Events
We promote health education by presenting cutting-edge research that encourages self-advocacy for the long term health and well-being of women, their families and the community in which they live.
Community Engagement Initiative
We award pilot research grants to scientists working with community organizations to develop and evaluate programs designed to address the most pressing health issues affecting underrepresented women in our community.
Howell Foundation Health Lecture Series
Early Access to Cutting-edge Research to Keep the Women we Love Healthy.
Join us for our next event
Bone Health Update 2022
La Jolla Country Club
- Why is our bone health so important, especially in the later years of our lives?
- What are the strategies to optimize bone health throughout our lifespan?
- How do nutrition, hormone health, physical activity and medications affect our bone health?
The time to start taking care of your bones is TODAY!
Why give towards women's health research?
Your health and the health of the women you love depend on it!
The Doris A. Howell Foundation serves to become the leading organization advancing women’s health research and education. We work to bring awareness of gender disparities in medical research that may affect proper diagnosis and treatment for women in our community, and raise the importance of science dedicated to women’s health.
Your investment not only supports an emerging scientist to study women-specific health issues, but has the potential to discover the next scientific breakthrough and contribute to a lifetime of furthering women’s health.
Additionally, your support enables us to host extraordinary medical experts, scientists, doctors, and researchers who convey timely, cutting-edge research on topics relevant to women’s health.
Give Now to Move Women's Health Research Forward
Help us accelerate women's health research to keep the women we love healthy!
What Donors are Saying:
We have entered a new era in Women’s Health and “tomorrow’s breakthrough” depends on what we do today to make a difference in the future of health care. It’s an honor to be part of this incredible group of people who believe in women’s health causes.
Although women live longer than men, they bear a greater burden of diseases & disability. I’m privileged to serve on the Howell Foundation Board of Directors to help this exceptional organization promote women’s health research through its student & community engagement research awards.”
For me, the Howell Foundation is about Education. Research. Next Generation. I learn so much about women’s health from the top physician researchers and scientists in San Diego. Knowing that my contribution is going toward women’s health research scholarships is rewarding.
Your Donations at Work!
How you’ve helped move women’s health research forward
Keeping the Women we Love Healthy Blog
Always Stay In Touch
Subscribe to our newsletter and get updated information about the latest in Women’s Health Research.
Get In Touch
If you are interested in working with us then please drop us a line, we would love to hear from you.