“How many of you have wives? How many of you have daughters? How many of you have sisters? And I know you all have mothers…
What do you do to help them stay healthy?”
The question is, why are we so passionate about women’s health research?
The exclusion of female subjects in current research efforts may result in the misdiagnosis and consequently, erroneous medical treatment of women. In the era of personalized medicine, a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach on the basis of results from male research subjects places women at a higher health risk. We seek to end the bias at a research level.
What we do:
The Doris A. Howell Foundation for Women’s Health Research is dedicated to making a long-term, positive impact on women’s health.
To that extent, the organization:
- Funds unique undergraduate research scholarships and graduate nursing research grants to scientists researching issues affecting women’s health.
- Presents the latest medical research findings at our events and through our Speaker Service program, where experts and researchers convey timely information on topics relevant to women’s health and the health of their families.
- Funds research initiatives that improve the health of under-served women and increase awareness and advocacy in the community.
A core belief of The Howell Foundation is that women are usually the nucleus for their families’ health. We bring awareness of the need for women’s health research to “Keep the Women We Love Healthy”. By informing women to be catalysts for their health and the health of their families, we can make a difference in our community.
What can you do to Keep the Women you Love Healthy?
- Become a Friend of Howell. Your donation can help us achieve BIG things, among them, helping emerging undergraduate and post graduate scholars further their knowledge on women’s health. You help make a difference! Personal pledges from generous individual donors like you are the lifeblood of our organization as they help us achieve our mission of “Keeping the Women We Love Healthy.”
- Donate on behalf of your organization. Women and men in your company or foundation will have the opportunity to learn more about the health of the women in their lives. Corporations and Foundations in San Diego are committed to community involvement and strong corporate citizenship.
- Have us over. Get up close and personal with experts in the field of women’s health research. The Howell Speakers Service extends the Howell Foundation’s educational mission into corporations and nonprofit organizations. Friends of Howell have the opportunity to listen to the latest research affecting women’s health today
- Support a researcher. It’s about making our community healthy. The Howell Foundation made a commitment to develop partnerships with academic and community-based organizations to support programs that improve quality of life in San Diego communities where health disparities are prevalent.
- Consider us in your planned giving efforts. Celebrate the life and legacy of the women and men who mean the most to you. If you would like to continue your legacy through education and research on women’s health, then please consider us in your planned giving efforts. Explore the giving alternatives that best serve your goals and needs by contacting Brad Benter here.
Health is a gift. Don’t take it for granted. Donate TODAY to help Keep the Women we Love Healthy!
About the Howell Foundation:
The Doris A. Howell Foundation for Women’s Health Research is dedicated to ‘keeping the women we love healthy’ by making a long-term, positive impact on women’s health. Since its founding in 1995, the organization has awarded more than 250 undergraduate and graduate research scholarships, and has produced over 100 women’s health presentations. In 2013, it expanded its service to include community research grants with an emphasis on women in under-served communities.
By focusing on women-specific issues, the Howell Foundation serves to close the gap in medical research and eliminate gender bias in the development of treatments and medications. By supporting the the research that will improve the care women receive, and by empowering them with knowledge and resources to advocate for themselves, the Howell Foundation contributes to the long-term health and well-being of women, their families, and the communities in which they serve.